About Us
Our Services
About Emotions
Info & Links
Contact Us
Burpengary Psychologists

What is the difference between a Psychologist, Psychiatrist and Counsellor?
A Psychologist has been university trained for either 4 years, or 6 years if they have a Masters degree (I have completed the 6 years of university training), and the training has focussed on how the brain and body works in addition to how people change and how to work with thoughts, emotions and behaviour. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who have completed additional training about the brain and the medicines that affect it and the physical problems that can occur. Psychiatrists can prescribe medication for psychological illness and some of them also practice psychotherapy in a similar way to psychologists. Counsellors do not have specific training requirements and registration is voluntary, however many counsellors have undergone university training which generally has less clinical focus than psychology training. At this time, Medicare only provides refunds for visits to psychiatrists and psychologists.

What types of therapy do you offer?
I use a combination of therapies depending on the types of difficulties you have and your goals for therapy. These therapies include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, Emotion Focused therapy for individuals and couples, Solution focused therapy, clinical hypnosis and Ego State therapy.

What happens in hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a way of invoking the power of your mind to resolve problems and can, quite quickly, get past doubts, fears and self-limiting thoughts to enable you to achieve your goals. It is best used combined with other therapy approaches which is the way I use it. For more information about hypnosis, you can look at the Australian Society of Hypnosis website www.ozhypnosis.com.au

Website by Gravity Central. Copyright 2007. Eve Dyer.